[swift-evolution] Generic Subscripts

Anton Zhilin antonyzhilin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 11:45:38 CST 2017

I’m not sure, but I think that in this case the specific type of these
values is determined at runtime.
Then a safe approach would be separate string: String?, bool: Bool?, int:
Int? computed properties, as it’s done in JSON parsers.

if let bookCount = row.value(named: "bookCount").int {
if let bookCount = row["bookCount"].int {
let bookCount = row.int("bookCount")!   // crash if database is corrupt

Additionally, this is an overall bad example of generics. Fields of
database tables can only map to a limited set of static types in Swift,
which are supported by database adapter.

This is a consequence of your vision of subscript. If interesting, it is