[swift-evolution] Throws? and throws!

Karl Wagner razielim at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 09:44:04 CST 2017

I can see the appeal, but really throwable errors are just one kind of error that can happen in code.

Preconditions are a different thing. They represent axioms that must be kept for a sane program. It’s up to the programmer to decide whether something should be treated as an axiom or something recoverable. For a few particular operations (Array indexing, arithmetic), the standard library designers have decided that out-of-bounds values are to be considered axiom violations.

If that’s not convenient for your application, you could suggest changing the standard library to include throwing or optional-wrapped alternatives. You could also write your own:

extension Array {
    subscript(unchecked index: Index) -> Iterator.Element? {       // Subscripts aren’t allowed to throw. There’s another proposal on that.
        guard (startIndex..<endIndex).contains(index) else { return .none }
        return self[index]

let array = [1,2,3,4]
array[unchecked: 99] // Returns nil
array[unchecked: 0]  // Returns 1