[swift-evolution] Generic Subscripts

Erica Sadun erica at ericasadun.com
Wed Jan 11 12:32:04 CST 2017

> On Jan 11, 2017, at 12:26 AM, Chris Lattner via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> On Jan 10, 2017, at 11:40 AM, Douglas Gregor via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution at swift.org>> wrote:
>>> On Jan 10, 2017, at 10:34 AM, Michael Ilseman via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution at swift.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>> [Forgot to CC swift-evolution the first time]
>>>
>>> When this came up last, it was seen as more so a bug in the current implementation, rather than an explicit choice. There's no need for a proposal, just a JIRA: https://bugs.swift.org/browse/SR-115?jql=text%20~%20%22Generic%20subscript%22 <https://bugs.swift.org/browse/SR-115?jql=text%20~%20%22Generic%20subscript%22>
>>
>> It’s a nontrivial new user-facing feature with new syntax in the language, so it’ll need a proposal. ‘twould be good for the proposal to link to the JIRA ticket.
>>
>> I’ve only heard positive reactions toward this feature, and it’s something that the standard library could make good use of.
>
> +1, this would be clearly great to happen.
>
> -Chris

I apologize for adding to this topic rather than starting a new one, but I figure people interested in subscripts would be more likely to see my question:

Is there a good reason subscripts cannot throw? Right now you can create a [safe: index] subscript to return an optional but you can't create one that returns an unwrapped value or throws.

Thanks, -- E