[swift-evolution] Generic Subscripts

Douglas Gregor dgregor at apple.com
Tue Jan 10 15:54:16 CST 2017

> On Jan 10, 2017, at 1:44 PM, Stephen Celis <stephen.celis at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Jan 10, 2017, at 2:40 PM, Douglas Gregor via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>>
>> It’s a nontrivial new user-facing feature with new syntax in the language, so it’ll need a proposal. ‘twould be good for the proposal to link to the JIRA ticket.
>>
>> 	- Doug
>
> I was under the impression that it was part of the "Complete Generics" goal, specifically here: https://github.com/apple/swift/blob/master/docs/GenericsManifesto.md#generic-subscripts <https://github.com/apple/swift/blob/master/docs/GenericsManifesto.md#generic-subscripts>

The “generics manifesto” is a set of ideas that are *heavily* biased by my own goals for the generics system. They’re not plan-of-record, and some might even be terrible ideas for Swift. Each thing there still needs to go through the usual swift-evolution process to get proper design treatment before becoming a part of the language, and I expect that process to flush out better ideas/problems with those ideas/unexpected interactions/etc.

> Will most of the other unimplemented points need proposals, as well?

Yes.

	- Doug