[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Eliminate tuples - unify member access syntax

Rod Brown rodney.brown6 at icloud.com
Sun Jan 8 07:46:00 CST 2017

Apart from your seeming distain for Swift, this proposal seems misguided to me, and to ignore some of the recent discussion around named parameters on tuples (which are currently in flux).

Each of the types you mention each have clear, specific meanings.

The following two are basic type system representations:
1. Classes - Reference, inheritance based items.
2. Structs  - Formal Value based items with storage (as opposed to enums which generally aren’t designed for storage).

The following two are collection types you’ve arbitrarily attacked for no reason. There are plenty of examples where each of these makes sense and is relevant within the language:
3. Arrays - Lists of items.
4. Dictionarys - Key value pair collections.

The final one is a separate basic type system representation:
5. Tuple. “Multiple values grouped together for a single compound value” (from Swift Programming Language Guide 3.0.1).

This type is to group related items together informally. That is, not as a wider type that is commonly used, but as an ad-hoc solution in cases where defining a type is neither required nor desirable. Say if I want to pass a return value of an item, and an associated description string for one method only, should I go and create a struct and all the boilerplate for that? This is an ad-hoc solution. That is in opposition to your example, which most definitely makes sense as a struct, and there already is one: CGPoint. Tuples themselves are actually a major part of how the language is built under the covers, and removing them for no reason is part of taking the guts out of Swift, for no reason.

I definitely agree there needs to be discussions regarding improving the situation for named parameters in tuples.

Accessing items: Each accessor is based on the one appropriate for the type. Unifying all member syntax purely for the sake of unifying it is a non-goal. We need to work out what is best for each case independently: properties vs subscripts. Rather than finding one obscure case where you used all of them and put them side by side, each should be assessed individually on their own merits.