[swift-evolution] [Proposal draft] Use obtain let instead if let construction

Robert Widmann devteam.codafi at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 01:11:40 CST 2017

-1.  This proposal is, in fact, cosmetic and has no impact on matters related to the ABI.  Moreover it is a breaking change that would require migration of a lot of existing code without significant justification.

A verb in this position is far more confusing than a logical connective.  `obtain` and similar imply that the statement attempts to move a value out of a container, which is perhaps the wrong image here, and does not elucidate control flow.  "So I've obtained a value, what then?  Where does the flow of control reach next?"

If beginners are confused about the optional unwrapping process, even after reading the many parts of the Swift book that offer examples of its use cases and semantics, then I would be more concerned.  But I'm not inclined to believe it's enough to warrant a change this large at this time.

~Robert Widmann