[swift-evolution] Cancelable named defer statements

Rien Rien at Balancingrock.nl
Sat Jan 7 12:20:38 CST 2017

Is there any interest in a proposal to introduce a named defer statement that can be cancelled?

Lately I find myself writing this kind of code:

func openFile(kind: String) -> UnsafeMutablePointer<FILE>? {

    var file = fopen("MyFile.txt", "r")

    var closeFile = true

    defer { if closeFile { fclose(file) } }

    if fileIsNotValid(file) { return nil }

    if fileDoesNotContainsData(file, kind) { return nil }

    if fileDataOutOfDate(file) { return nil }

    // Prevent the deferred handler from closing the file
    closeFile = false

    return file
}

Which imo would be much cleaner if we were able to write:

func openFile(kind: String) -> UnsafeMutablePointer<FILE>? {

    var file = fopen("MyFile.txt", "r")

    CLOSE_FILE: defer { fclose(file) }

    if fileIsNotValid(file) { return nil }

    if fileDoesNotContainsData(file, kind) { return nil }

    if fileDataOutOfDate(file) { return nil }

    // Prevent the deferred handler from closing the file
    cancel CLOSE_FILE

    return file
}

Regards,