[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Changing NSObject dispatch behavior

Freak Show freakshow42 at mac.com
Thu Dec 29 17:50:10 CST 2016

> On Dec 29, 2016, at 13:28, Rod Brown via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> I’m in agreement that ‘dynamic’ is probably not what you want without a declaration.

I hold a completely opposite viewpoint.  Dynamic is always what I want and table based is premature optimization.  Late binding is important.  I found far too often when working in C++ (yes I am really flipping old) I would come across code where a developer hadn't chosen to make a method virtual and I found myself just up a creek with regards to extending that code.  Ditto people declaring stuff final in Java for no good reason.

The important thing to consider is that the future is generally unknowable and if you don't know the future you cannot make good choices about what should and should not be dynamic.  So the conservative thing is to make everything dynamic until you cannot afford it - which...is usually never.

> The only difference between table and method dispatch is the Objective-C message dispatch system. Unless users want to work around things by manually handling with some of the complex machinery in Obj-C, which is rare, then there is no reason behind doing so, and all it comes down to is a relatively large performance hit for nothing. And to be honest, with very few exceptions, if you’re using that ultra-dynamic machinery, you’re probably Doing It Wrong in the first place.

I do this sort of thing routinely and I assure you I am not Doing It Wrong.

I don't get why there is so much emphasis on performance in this day and age.  I haven't run into a performance problem I could trace to speed of ObjectiveC's method dispatching since the early 90's.

Second - I have quite a lot of code that relies on this sort of dynamism. I've been a very serious C++ developer and a very serious Smalltalk programmer at various times in my career and I value the flexibility of late binding far above performance.

> If you need this functionality, dynamic still exists. But Swift is Table Dispatch by default for a reason: you’re paying a massive penalty for something you’ll rarely if ever use, and it should be opt in.

Strongly disagree.