[swift-evolution] Move placement of 'throws' statement

Karl razielim at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 00:29:04 CST 2016

I agree that this could do with revision. It looks particularly ugly when you’re dealing with throwing closures.

Recently I had a signature like:

public func scan(length: File.ByteOffset.Stride?,
                     by frameSize: File.ByteOffset.Stride,
                     with handler: (_ range: Range<File.ByteOffset>, _ data: UnsafeRawBufferPointer) throws -> Bool) throws -> File.ByteOffset.Stride

It can get difficult to parse the signature towards the end. Marking the handler and function as throwing closer to the beginning would make it more readable IMO. One thing it allows me to do more easily is to remove the spaces around the arrow for the closure parameter (just a little thing which I find helps me read the trailing closure/return type more quickly).

public throwing func scan(length: File.ByteOffset.Stride?,
                                         by frameSize: File.ByteOffset.Stride,
                                         with handler: throwing (_ range: Range<File.ByteOffset>, _ data: UnsafeRawBufferPointer)->Bool) -> File.ByteOffset.Stride

- Karl