[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Add the DefaultConstructible protocol to the standard library

Adam Nemecek adamnemecek at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 14:17:04 CST 2016

> Array already has init(repeating:count:) that puts the responsibility of
choosing the default value at the call site. If someone were writing a
generic algorithm around this, then why not just propagate that
responsibility out to its call site as well? That way, the algorithm isn't
making any assumptions about what the "default" value is or even if one
exists,

Because encapsulation. There's a reason NSObject has a default initializer.