[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Add the DefaultConstructible protocol to the standard library

Tony Allevato allevato at google.com
Mon Dec 26 13:35:25 CST 2016

For integers, 0 is an additive identity. Is there a reason it should be
given special treatment over 1, the multiplicative identity? Historically
the only reason is because it has the all-clear bit pattern.

Mathematically, identities are associated with (type, operation) pairs, not
types alone.

This conversation has put me in the column of "numeric types shouldn't have
default initializers at all", personally.