[swift-evolution] "with" operator a la O'Caml?

Andy Chou acchou2 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 15:26:27 CST 2016

Thanks Erica, I wasn't aware of that Swift evolution proposal. If I'm reading it right, this wouldn't work with structs with let-variables...?  Here's what I get with this example:

struct Person {
    let name: String
    let address: String
}

@discardableResult
public func with<T>(_ item: T, update: (inout T) throws -> Void) rethrows -> T {
    var this = item
    try update(&this)
    return this
}

let john = Person(name: "John", address: "1 battery st")
let jane: Person = with(john) { $0.name = "Jane" }     // Test.swift:24:41: Cannot assign to property: 'name' is a 'let' constant

Andy