[swift-evolution] URL Literals

Tony Allevato allevato at google.com
Mon Dec 19 13:18:52 CST 2016

+1 to the sentiment in your last paragraph.

In general, I'm not a very big fan of the #foo(...) syntax for literals and
I think using that as the starting point for discussion biases us towards
those when more general and powerful alternatives could exist. That syntax
exists for Playground support and I'd hate to see it proliferate into
non-playground sources. Furthermore, if the user could write a
compile-time-validating initializer for `URL("http://foo.com/bar")` (or
`let url: URL = "http://foo.com/bar"`), then that expression becomes just
as much a "literal" as something like `#url("http://foo.com/bar")`. There's
no functional difference between the two: both are sequences of tokens that
the compiler can evaluate statically. The benefit is that the end user
doesn't have to worry about the distinction; the compiler picks the
appropriate evaluation automatically depending on whether the initializer
argument is statically known or not.

Taking this a step further, if we can get constexpr-like validation for
initializers like this, then I wonder if the #foo literal syntax needs to
exist at all, and I'd propose that we abandon it and just let the
playground UI and other IDEs transform things like `UIColor(red: 0.5,
green: 0.5, blue: 0.5)` into a swatch when it sees them if they can be
evaluated at compile-time. What you lose is, as Erica mentioned earlier,
the fact that `#colorLiteral(...)` is untyped and can be turned into
multiple color types, but the value already has to be assigned to a
concrete type eventually anyway.

Am I missing any use cases for things like #colorLiteral that doing this
would make difficult or impossible?