[swift-evolution] URL Literals

Stephen Buck stephenherronbuck at icloud.com
Sat Dec 17 11:23:55 CST 2016

I like the David Sweeris idea best. The syntax is cleaner and the type URL "knows what to do with itself".

let url: URL = "https://example.com"

I have strong reservations about hard-coded URLs as an SDLC 🚂 wreck waiting to happen, but the world of mid-day build and deploy might mitigate this, except when the developers are laid off and an acquisition or service consolidation causes a domain or URL change.  Having seen this many times I have always put URLs in a properties file for bootstrapping, and a database for post-bootstrap.  This allows per-instance customization and live instance changes which is also usually necessary.