[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Changing NSObject dispatch behavior

Brian King brianaking at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 20:43:28 CST 2016

First off, I'm still learning out how to debate at this speed, sorry for
the slow replies!

On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 9:32 PM, Kevin Ballard <kevin at sb.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 14, 2016, at 05:54 PM, Brian King wrote:
>
> Obj-C compatibility certainly is one reason to use NSObject, but perhaps a
> bigger reason is because you're subclassing some framework-provided class,
> like UIView or UIViewController. Just because I'm subclassing
> UIViewController doesn't mean I want my controller's API to be subject to
> Obj-C method dispatch unnecessarily.
>
> And even in the cases where I'm subclassing NSObject for Obj-C
> compatibility, that doesn't mean that most of the calls to my object are
> coming from Obj-C. All that means is that at least one place my object is
> used is Obj-C, and 99% of the uses might be Swift. Or if I'm writing a
> library, it might mean that I simply want to preserve Obj-C compatibility
> in case a client wants it, even though I expect my clients to be primarily
> Swift (For example, this is how postmates/PMHTTP is written;
> Obj-C–compatible, but the expectation is most clients will probably be
> Swift).

It's interesting, your library has very few non-final methods, because most
of your classes are `final`. it's great to have this option, and as a
result, it is very easy to write performant code. It is very wordy to write
runtime friendly code. I think I value these optimizations less than you,
to me it feels like it's pre-mature optimization, especially given how easy
it is to opt into Static dispatch.

> > > Interaction with Obj-C runtime machinery stuff like KVO should be
> opt-in. In Obj-C it's ad-hoc, many classes support it for properties but
> many also don't, and very few properties have their KVO conformance
> documented. I don't view having to mark my properties as `dynamic` to
> participate in KVO to be a problem with Swift but rather a feature. It
> tells the reader that this property supports KVO.
> >
> > This is an interesting point, and it would be an interesting semantic.
> > However in practice, the majority of NSObject code is imported from
> > obj-c, and it's generated interface does not follow this convention.
>
> Just because framework classes don't follow this convention doesn't mean
> it's not a valuable convention to have in code written in Swift. There's a
> lot of things that Swift does better than Obj-C, and that you don't get
> when using an API imported from Obj-C, but that's not a reason to not do
> those things.
>
> > Also, it's strange to conflate how something was dispatched and if it
> > supported KVO. I think property delegates will be the future here and
> > enable some exciting contracts if adopted.
> >
> > Another approach is to just make it easier to opt into the full obj-c
> > machinery. The addition of a class or extension level `dynamic`
> > keyword would be great. If we could get buy in on this, then the
> > debate becomes if NSObject should default to `dynamic` or not.
>
> I don't think we should ever make it possible to mark an entire class as
> `dynamic`. This just reintroduces the Obj-C problem, where many properties
> support KVO, but not all, and there's no indication on the property itself
> as to whether it supports it.

This would just be short hand for adding the `dynamic` keyword in front of
every variable and method, so shy of the already existing computed property
getter case, all of the properties should just work.