[swift-evolution] It's the little things..

David Sweeris davesweeris at mac.com
Tue Dec 13 22:43:34 CST 2016

> On Dec 13, 2016, at 9:51 AM, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:
>
> On Dec 12, 2016, at 6:58 PM, David Sweeris via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>>> On Dec 12, 2016, at 16:15, John Holdsworth via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I’d like to raise again the idea of optionality when referencing a key or
>>> calling a function could be possible using a ? i.e instead of
>>>
>>>  let a = key != nil ? dict[key] : nil
>>>
>>> you could just write:
>>>
>>>  let a = dict[key?]
>>>
>>> or even
>>>
>>>  let a = func( arg: argumentThatMayBeNull? ) // not called if argument is nil
>>
>> The first part is pretty easy to add in an extension:
>>
>> extension Dictionary {
>>   subscript(_ key:Key?) -> Value? {
>>       return key != nil ? self[key!] : nil
>>   }
>> }
>>
>> At least I think that works... I'm on my phone so I can't test it.
>
> You can do something like this, but I’d recommend labeling the subscript.  The problem comes up when you have a dictionary that has an optional key:   When you use “myDict[nil]”, you may get one or the other, but you probably mean one specifically.
I don’t think that’s an issue in the stdlib, because `Optional` doesn’t conform to `Hashable` and, AFAIK, no other stdlib types conform to `ExpressibleByNilLiteral`. Custom types could conform to both, though, and according to a playground, that does indeed lead to some confusing code:
struct Foo : ExpressibleByNilLiteral, Hashable {...}
extension Dictionary { subscript(_ key:Key?) -> Value? { return key != nil ? self[key!] : nil } }
var bar = [Foo:Int]()
bar[nil] //calls `Foo.init(nilLiteral:())`, and tries to look up the new `Foo` in `bar` using the stdlib's subscript
bar[nil as Foo?] //passes `Optional<Foo>.none, which uses the extension's subscript

> Using a label on the subscript solves this, and makes the code more explicit that you’re not just getting the normal subscript that everyone would expect.
Yeah, that would certainly solve it. Kind of a shame, though, since it’d be one less function to think about, and 99.998% of the time it’d give the right answer. Too bad we can’t extend stuff where some condition isn’t met, like "extension Dictionary where !(Key: ExpressibleByNilLiteral) {…}” or something.

- Dave Sweeris