[swift-evolution] adding automated-testing of uncompilable features in XCTest

Rien Rien at Balancingrock.nl
Mon Dec 12 02:17:16 CST 2016

> On 12 Dec 2016, at 07:23, Benjamin Spratling via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>

> -Ben
>
> Sent from my iPhone.
>
>> On Dec 11, 2016, at 11:43 PM, Brian Gesiak <modocache at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Maybe your goal is to ensure that other programmers don't accidentally change the accessibility levels. Again, I think because they're straightforward, I don't think there's much danger there.
>>
>> To me, tests for accessibility would be redundant. It would be like adding a test to verify that my struct 'Foo' has a member named 'bar'. If I ever decided to rename 'Foo.bar', I would have to update the test. But I would never "accidentally" rename 'Foo.bar' -- if I changed the name, it's because I modified the code for that purpose. A test adds overhead, but no benefit.
>>
>> I feel the same about the 'mutating', 'weak', 'unowned', and 'final'.
>>
>> It's definitely subjective, though. You might feel that the tests I describe above are valuable, and you're entitled to that opinion.
>

> I have been in some situations recently in which encapsulation was untestable, and on a team with >10 developers and no automated test to catch that change, there were issues.  In the end we shipped knowing there was a bug, because 15 weeks of work had been based on it, and it would have required a redesign to fix.
>
> If I need a test that there is a property named 'bar', I can write a test which accesses the member, and even specify a required type and explicitly test whether the property does or does not conform to the protocol.  Even if it's private, I can use a Mirror to extract its value.
>
> My motivation is: I got tired of hearing "if you did it right, it would have worked", which I now view as an excuse for lack of good design (in most cases).  For the past several months, I have been investigating design patterns which prevent developers from making common mistakes,

That is a very elusive goal.
The best way to do this is through hiring competent people…
One of the quotes I like in this regard: a monkey with a tool is still a monkey…

But I know, we all have to work with the hand we are dealt with. Nevertheless it is easy to sink a lot of work in this subject with little to show for it. People will make mistakes, no matter how good the tool. I have often felt that we need a certain balance, i.e. the tool should hurt you when making a mistake, but then it should not hurt so much that you die. That spurs good practises by the programmer who otherwise might become complacent. I know I get complacent with some Swift/Xcode features… and I hate it when I do, but I still do it…

Btw I have a lot of Ada experience. I love that language. It does way more in enforcing a proper design and catching programmers misttakes. However it never has gotten much traction for general applications. I blame that on the invisibility of avoided error’s…

Just rambling, no real point here… well, maybe one: don’t aim for perfection, but make sure it hurts when perfection is not achieved.

That way we will get paid for experience… :-o)

Rien.