[swift-evolution] What about renaming Optional.map to Optional.mapMe ?

Guillaume Lessard glessard at tffenterprises.com
Mon Dec 5 22:41:29 CST 2016

No.

I would like to point out that, as used in functional programming, “map” matches the following dictionary definitions:

Map (verb):
• associate (a group of elements or qualities) with an equivalent group, according to a particular formula or model: the transformational rules map deep structures into surface structures.
• (Mathematics) associate each element of (a set) with an element of another set.

So, there are *two* dictionary definitions that match the “map” method name. They’re both somewhat technical, but the protesting should stop.

(I am not a functional programming guy; I simply agree that the language is appropriate.)

Cheers,
Guillaume Lessard