[swift-evolution] [Discussion] Generic protocols

Adrian Zubarev adrian.zubarev at devandartist.com
Sat Dec 3 07:26:18 CST 2016

I believe generic protocols could be used as a shortcut for protocols with associated types.

// Protocol with associated type

protocol Foo {

    associatedtype F
    func foo(_ f: F)
}

// Existential
typealias IntFoo = Any<Foo> where F == Int

struct Test : IntFoo {} // error

struct Test : Foo { func foo(_: Int) {…} }

let intFoo: IntFoo = Test() // fine

// SE-0142

protocol IntFooProtocol : Foo where F == Int {}

// Generic protocols
// Autogenerated with all associated types present in the parameter list

protocol GenericFoo<F> : Foo { … }
Instead of creating new protocol for a different subset of types constrained by the where clause, this approach could come really handy.

Does it affect stdlib and/or ABI somehow? When SE–0142 is implemented to improve the stdlib, wouldn’t that mean that more types like IntFooProtocol from above will spawn?

--
Adrian Zubarev
Sent with Airmail