[swift-evolution] Swift evolution proposal: introduce typeprivate access control level

Rien Rien at Balancingrock.nl
Fri Dec 2 02:56:31 CST 2016

And the funny thing is, we don’t actually _need_ access control levels.

The only purpose of access control is to enhance security/reliability by imposing restrictions on other programmers (API users).

It seems to me that in almost all discussions the arguments are mostly backwards: i.e. formulated from the perspective of the API users. Maybe because just about all programmers are API users of the OS-API? Anyway…

What I would like to see is a complete overhaul of the access control and rewrite it entirely from the perspective of the API provider.
I.e. give a more fine grained control to the API writer in the sense that he can specify exactly which other piece of code has access. I consider it dangerous by default to open up a scope just because another class needs occasional access. (i.e. give -for example- module access just because there is 1 other class in the module that needs that access. Inadvertently opening up access to all other classes in that module.)

An access control list could do just that. Perhaps something like:

access(type, MyFriendClass(get))

The above would provide access to the entire type (but not any children) and read-only from MyFriendClass.

A quick -off the cuff- list of access levels:

type: Only the type in which it is defined (no children)
child: The type and its children
<type-name>: Access is granted to the type named
file: Access is limited to this file only
<file-name>: Access is granted to the named file
module: Access is granted to the entire module
<module-name>: Access is granted to the module with the given name
public: Access is granted to everybody

Further access specification could be made possible through the use of the dot-notation:

<type-name>.<function-name>
<file-name>.<class-name | function-name>
<module-name>.<class-name>.<function-name>

Read/write control through a parameter passing notation:

<type-name>.<function-name>([[get],][set])

Examples:

access(type) var count: Int // entire type can read/write
access(type(get), type.incrementer) var count: Int  // Entire type can read, only the incrementer function has read/write
access(module, FriendType, public(get)) var count: Int  // Entire module can read/write, FriendType can read/write, others can only read

Regards,
Rien

Site: http://balancingrock.nl
Blog: http://swiftrien.blogspot.com