[swift-evolution] Add code to super methods.

Dave Abrahams dabrahams at apple.com
Tue Nov 29 22:17:05 CST 2016

on Tue Nov 29 2016, Michael Ilseman <milseman-AT-apple.com> wrote:

>>> times, but never got the momentum it deserves.
>>>>

>>> As an intermediary measure, this seems like an interesting QoI
>>> improvement for the compiler: warn when super.foo() is not called in
>>> the overridden method.
>>
>> Please no.  Methods that need to be called when they are overridden are
>> almost always a result of poor design.
>>
>>    “I don't always do Object Oriented Programming, but when I do, I use
>>    the Template Method Pattern"
>>
>> understating-the-case-ly yrs,
>
> I agree, that’s why I’m suggesting it be a ObjC-side attribute for use
> by e.g. UIKit.

OK, that's fine; it sounded like you were proposing a blanket rule.

Apparently UIKit equally needs an attribute that says “*don't* call
super,” and that would be a good idea for Swift too.  It can also be
expressed as “this method is private but overridable,” but I know that
idea gives some people the hives :-).

> Regardless of how both of us may feel about UIKit’s design, it is the
> largest platform on which apps are made and there’s a chance for the
> compiler to enhance the developer experience. I do agree that we
> should be careful about condoning the practice for new/Swift-only
> frameworks.

Heck, I'm not even going that far.  I'm just saying I don't want to
“un-condone” designs that don't require super-calling.

--
-Dave