[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0145: Package Manager Version Pinning (Revised)

Paul Cantrell cantrell at pobox.com
Mon Nov 28 22:25:11 CST 2016

Just a quick mini-review here; sorry, time pressure.

This version of the proposal seems acceptable to me, though I have a nagging feel that it’s more complex than it needs to be.

In particular, the two modes (autopin enabled / disabled) plus the --repin option seem to me to have a high confusion:benefit ratio. I can imagine a much simpler model in which:

general behavior is always like --enable-autopin,
update always acts as if --repin is specified, and
.gitignore is the sole difference in how pinning behaves for different projects.

What is the benefit of the proposal’s more complex model? AFAICT, the one thing this simpler model wouldn’t allow is for a team to share pinned versions of some individual ill-behaved dependencies without pinning all of them. If that’s the only missing behavior, my gut tells me there’s a way to do that with less cognitive burden on SwiftPM users. (Are there other benefits to the proposal’s model that I’m missing?)

Those concerns stated, I’d be fine with the proposal as stated. It would accommodate all the different ways I can imagine using SwiftPM on my own projects. It might be confusing to newcomers, but it won’t be a roadblock for getting work done.

Cheers,

Paul