[swift-evolution] Global init() functions

Joe Groff jgroff at apple.com
Mon Nov 28 13:53:06 CST 2016

> On Nov 19, 2016, at 8:57 PM, John McCall via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

>>> No, they aren't a clean solution for the reasons I listed.  They may be a solution you're used to using, but they're not a *clean* solution, and Swift's line against providing them is for the best.
>>>
>>> I'm surprised that you keep talking about enterprise / complex applications as some sort of argument for them, because those are exactly the applications where, in my experience, global initializers completely break down as a reasonable approach.  It's the small applications that can get away with poor software engineering practices, because the accumulated maintenance/complexity/performance costs are, well, small.
>>
>> It’s difficult to subscribe to the slippery slope arguments that contain specters that can still afflict applications without global init functions.  Any feature can be abused and it seems hyperbolic to provide arguments that seems to ascribe the above problems as an inevitability solely afflicting global init functions.  My and others’ experience with them has been very different from yours.
>>
>> With that said, I took some time to re-read your reply, after my afternoon nap.  I really like the idea of some kind of reflective discovery.  How would that work?  Maybe having a special @tag attribute that can be searched at runtime?
>
> There was another thread that mentioned this idea recently, but it would be reasonable to provide some way to get a P.Type for every type in the program that conforms to a protocol P.  This would be opt-in at the protocol level, because we wouldn't want to be prevented from e.g. stripping an unused type from the program just because it implemented Equatable.  There are some other complexities here, but that's the basic idea, and it's totally reasonable to support.

I worry that there are registration use cases for which "get all protocol conformers" is a bit boilerplatey. For example, collecting test case functions is a classic use case, and requiring a separate type declaration for every case would be a bit heavyweight compared to just having each test be a free function.

-Joe