[swift-evolution] Some concerns on custom operators

Robert Widmann devteam.codafi at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 20:09:35 CST 2016

That is what was happening for me at the time.  Operadics was exporting bind (>>-), ap (<*>) and fmap (<^>), and SwiftCheck was pulling in Operadics inline in the non-SPM build.  The two modules were literally trying to export the same operators with the same precedencegroup declarations.  My definition of “perfectly identical” covers this case.

> On Nov 27, 2016, at 9:01 PM, John McCall <rjmccall at apple.com> wrote:
>
>> On Nov 26, 2016, at 3:19 PM, Robert Widmann <devteam.codafi at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Just gotta field a version of that proposal that doesn’t “look like Haskell” :)
>>
>> Seriously, though, would there be any objection to restoring the old behavior of just silently ignoring perfect duplicates of operator definitions across frameworks sans proposal?
>
> The definition of "perfect duplicates" is more complex now.  It would be easy to ignore duplicates that name the same precedencegroup, but that's probably not what's happening here.

In that case there is a nice structural equality that falls out of the current way things are defined, more so than before given that we can use the relative precedences (and given that most libraries don’t set up precedencegroup lattices that are complex as TypeLift does).  Essentially, the problem is verifying a bisimulation with alpha-equivalence at all the edges.