[swift-evolution] Add code to super methods.

Tino Heth 2th at gmx.de
Fri Nov 25 04:42:47 CST 2016

> What are your thoughts on this?
>
> Just to throw out a strawman:
>
> // Warn if override doesn’t begin with “super.foo()”
> __attribute(swift_requires_super_call_at_begin)
>
>  // Warn if override doesn’t end with “super.foo()”
> __attribute(swift_requires_super_call_at_end)

I myself would already be happy if Swift had an equivalent to NS_REQUIRES_SUPER (preferably with a different name ;-).
The ability to indicate that super shouldn't be called when overriding would be nice as well — both situations happen in Cocoa, and it isn't enforced, but only documented.

I don't have any examples where the position of the call to super matters, and my personal opinion is that this feature wouldn't pay off:
Of course, there are situations where order is important — but as with willSet/didSet, it might only be important for the overriding class, not for super.

- Tino