[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Named subscripts

Rien Rien at Balancingrock.nl
Fri Nov 18 05:38:08 CST 2016

> On 18 Nov 2016, at 11:45, Adrian Zubarev via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> The reason here is because the setter acts like semi-schema setter.

Ah, ok.
Just wondered because I had a similar case in SwifterJSON. Eventually I settled for the absence of user-supplied type information while creating the JSON object. On read however, type information must be specified for safety (semi-schema read).

> For the given array example:
>
> array.double[at: 42] // would return a nil, if the index is out of bounds, or if the wrapped `Value` instance at the given index is not `.double(Double)`
>
> array.double[at: 42] = 2.0 // would update the value iff the wrapped `Value` instance is `.double(Double)`, otherwise the setter will do nothing
>
> This is a semi-schema approach and different from overriding any existing value at the given index like array[42] = .double(2.0)
>
> About the mutation problem you can find the short talk here, right at the bottom.
>
> If there is no setter for your view, array.double[at: 42] = 2.0 simply won’t work.
>
> Please proof me wrong here, if there is a better way to solve the problem. :)
>
> I appreciate any suggestions.
>
> So far we had no concrete arguments agains optionally named subscripts. Anything you dislike about that?

No, in fact +1

Regards,
Rien

Site: http://balancingrock.nl