[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Named subscripts

Adrian Zubarev adrian.zubarev at devandartist.com
Fri Nov 18 03:25:44 CST 2016

Thank you guys for all your suggestions so far.

I understand the idea behind the generic subscript here, they are neat and highly needed, but even this approach won’t solve my issue of clarity here.

The Array I extend here has an Element of type Value which is an enum that wraps other types around (part of BSON).

I’d have to insert a huge pattern matching switch into that generic subscript and unwrap every possible type. Don’t get me wrong, this would work, because the result type is an optional, where I just can return nil if nothing matches.

But again I lose the clarity from the readers prospective, because I don’t know by reading code like array[at: 123] = someValue what kind of subscript I’m using here.

As already suggested, the view workaround would result in the exact the same syntax I look for, but it has it own downsides as I already mentioned (+ every time you’d need to instantiate a new view).

--
Adrian Zubarev
Sent with Airmail