[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0145: Package Manager Version Pinning

Daniel Resnick danielzresnick at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 13:16:43 CDT 2016

-1, though I do strongly think we should have version pinning.

I agree with the others who believe that dependencies should be pinned by
default. This doesn't mean that you have to check the pin/lock file into
source control. I have a good amount of experience developing apps and
libraries with Cocoapods, Carthage, and Bundler, and I've always found it
to be crucial to be able to easily reproduce builds.

Regarding the naming, I don't have a strong opinion, but I find the
argument that the term "lock" is overloaded and therefore confusing to be
weak, given that it is a term used by many package managers.