[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Make `errno`-setting functions more usable from Swift

John McCall rjmccall at apple.com
Wed Nov 2 16:24:06 CDT 2016

> On Nov 2, 2016, at 6:12 AM, Johannes Weiß via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
> Hey swift-evolution,
>
> First of all apologies, this is not a full proposal yet, it's meant to kick off a discussion on how to resolve the issue.
>
> # Make `errno`-setting functions more usable from Swift
>
> ## Introduction
>
> This is a pitch to make [`errno`][1]-setting functions properly usable, as in having a guarantee to get the correct `errno` value on failure of a [system call][2]. Currently, functions which set `errno` are just exported in the Darwin/Glibc modules with (as far as I understand) no guaranteed correct way of handling errors as the correct `errno` value can't be retrieved.
> This means that much of the Swift code which uses Darwin/Glibc out there relies on behaviour that isn't guaranteed.

Is this a general enough problem to be worth complicating the importer with vs., say, just manually wrapping the POSIX APIs to be throwing in an overlay?  POSIX uses a lot of different conventions for reporting that an error occurred, and there's only a finite set of POSIX APIs.  Are there "user" functions that wrap POSIX and carefully report errors with errno?

John.