[swift-evolution] Official Swift Slack team?

Karl Wagner razielim at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 12:01:00 CDT 2016

When it comes to infrastructure/dev-ops, Apple probably have people responsible for it (like Shah Mischal does the CI server); I think Chris mentioned in the last discussion on this topic that they do.

It would be worth getting in touch with those people and finding out which issues are blocking a switch to a platform such as Discourse.

For one thing, there's a huge collection of great, in-depth information on these lists; the kind of behind-the-scenes technical details that devs love to read up on (the kind of stuff you'd find on Mike Ash's blog). It's a bit difficult to find and discover these things, though.

Sticky posts would also be great: maybe could have a friendly reminder on swift-evo that we're only taking ABI-breaking proposals right now, or split the "pitch" threads in to a separate sub forum, or keep commonly-rejected proposal threads around so people can read *why* they were rejected.

There are loads of opportunities to improve the community experience, IMO. So I definitely support a move to something richer than a mailing-list, but from previous discussions it sounds like Discourse (rather than Slack) will give us lots of these benefits with least upheaval.

- Karl