[swift-evolution] [Meta] Let's talk TouchBar + Unicode

Haravikk swift-evolution at haravikk.me
Mon Oct 31 10:58:59 CDT 2016

> On 31 Oct 2016, at 10:14, Alex Blewitt <alblue at apple.com> wrote:
>

>> On 29 Oct 2016, at 11:10, Haravikk via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution at swift.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Part of the problem for emoji is that the macOS special characters menu is so awkward to use; coincidentally I actually posted an enhancement request to the Apple bug reporter only yesterday asking for a more Spotlight-search like special characters selector. i.e- rather than the the awkward, tiny and hard to dismiss window something with immediate searching by relevant tags, either narrowing down for easy selection, or hitting enter for the top result.
>
> When typing you can use Control + Command + Space to bring up the same kind of emoji keyboard as on iOS; and it searches by name as well, so you can use the spotlight-like-search selector:

> 👠 🎃 ⛽️ ⛽
>

> Screenshot in case the unicode characters don't survive:
> <Screen Shot 2016-10-31 at 10.11.51.png>

Huh, this must be new on macOS Sierra? I'm still on El Capitan where it definitely does not work that way 😉
If so it may be a reason to upgrade, as adding the winking emoji just there was a pain in the arse.

In that case though I'm not sure what extra support Swift really needs, as key-combo plus type-to-search ought to be more than fast enough, no need to overburden auto-complete etc.