[swift-evolution] [Meta] Let's talk TouchBar + Unicode

Rien Rien at Balancingrock.nl
Sat Oct 29 02:40:14 CDT 2016

> Swift is a language being designed for the next 20-30 years, we shouldn’t be limiting ourselves based on technology that is already being replaced (as you mentioned many of the devices people use everyday already have a soft keyboard… and Ive said the TouchBar was just the beginning of a new direction).  We need to aim for where the puck is going to be…

Hmm, I have engineering problems today. There will be engineering problems in 20 and 30 years as well, but I rather have a tool that is geared towards today’s problems. It would be even better if that tool is flexible enough so that it can adapt to the requirements as they change.

The difference between a puck and the future of engineering is that you can make a very good prediction about where a puck is going to be based on direction and speed. It is completely impossible to predict where the future of programming is going to be in 20 years time.

Let Swift be a flexible tool, don’t write anything in stone, and don’t try to predict the future.
If requirements change, let Swift change. But don’t try to be 20 years ahead of what we need today.

Regards,
Rien

Site: http://balancingrock.nl
Blog: http://swiftrien.blogspot.com