[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Refining Identifier and Operator Symbology

Jonathan Hull jhull at gbis.com
Fri Oct 28 17:55:09 CDT 2016

True, but that doesn’t mean we have to resign ourselves the lowest common denominator.  We need a way to operate with older systems, but we also want to embrace what has been made possible now.  Within a few years, it is quite likely that this technology will be common both across Apple’s lineup and that of competitors.

For example, it is much more realistic to have something like the union operator in the standard library now, because those with the TouchBar can (theoretically) easily type it, and those of us without a TouchBar can continue to use the much less concise formUnion.

I also have several ideas on how to make typing these things easier sans-touchbar. There are lots of potential UI which make it not-too-difficult, we have just have to have a reason to do them.

Let’s move forward and develop something for the modern age instead of limiting ourselves to the state of the art from the 1970s (e.g. I personally find it barbaric that we have to type an arrow ‘<=' instead of ‘≤’).  Sure, we have to make sure there is a bridge for those who aren’t on the bleeding edge, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t push forward at all.

Thanks,
Jon