[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Replace the ternary operator with an in-language function

Austin Zheng austinzheng at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 00:04:27 CDT 2016

Strong -1. I don't feel like stylistic concerns alone are a good enough reason to introduce a change that will undoubtedly break source compatibility for many, many projects come Swift 4.

That aside, I don't agree with the arguments that the ternary operator is confusing.

1. If you don't know that it exists, you aren't hampered in writing code. The most straightforward solution, and a perfectly good one, is to use an if-else to assign a value to either a `var` or a `let`.

2. If someone new to Swift thinks `?` and `:` are confusing, I really doubt they will react any better to a generic extension method on a type (which is a primitive in other languages) which takes two "@autoclosure" higher-order function parameters.

Finally, if you don't find any of the arguments above confusing, why force a breaking change by removing ?: instead of just adding the bool extension, especially given the source stability goals of Swift 4 and beyond?

Best,
Austin