[swift-evolution] [Discussion] API Guidelines

Dave Abrahams dabrahams at apple.com
Sun Oct 16 14:43:37 CDT 2016

on Fri Oct 14 2016, Zach Waldowski <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> The base name of the function describes its core purpose.
>
> There is no ambiguity instructing an Array to "append" something, but
> there is context needed: "what are we appending? The contents of the
> newElements parameter."

That's because there's a distinction between appending the newElements
paramter (as a single new element on an array of Any) and appending its
elements.

> But there is ambiguity asking URL to "give me a new URL by
> appending". Appending what?

Actually, no, you are passing an argument.  That's what's being
appended.  If there's only one reasonable way to append a String to a
URL, no noun should be needed.  If there's some ambiguity as to the
semantics, that might justify the "pathComponent:" label.

-Dave