[swift-evolution] Tuples as RawRepresentable

Karl Wagner razielim at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 09:49:55 CDT 2016

The edge-case I have in mind is... let's say we synthesised RawRep conformance for all Equatable raw-types. That would allow you use struct and class rawvalues with our shorthand syntax.

But Equatable values might overlap. A single raw-value might be considered equal to multiple cases in the enum. If you do that, you can get unexpected values from the initialiser, and we won't be able to check for it at compile-time, and when you try to debug these strange values, it will be in some code that isn't written down anywhere and so less obvious to debug. The only magic about Int/String literals is that the compiler understands their content and that content is known at compile-time so can be checked for uniqueness.

To be clear, though: I don't know really know why that limitation is there; but from what I've seen of the implementation this is my best guess. Otherwise there's nothing technically stopping us loosening the restrictions for the shorthand AFAIK.