[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0144: Allow Single Dollar Sign as a Valid Identifier

Haravikk swift-evolution at haravikk.me
Sat Oct 15 05:02:08 CDT 2016

> On 14 Oct 2016, at 20:59, Chris Lattner via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> 	* What is your evaluation of the proposal?

Not in favour, sorry. While I've used this kind of pattern in Javascript I just don't see what it really adds compared to a more explicit name. As a general rule I prefer everything to be explicitly named except where a case is genuinely trivial (like the dollar syntax for closure arguments).

> 	* Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

If it had more benefits maybe, but I just don't see them.

> 	* Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

No, I think that allowing the dollar sign could be confusing alongside dollar sign variables in closures, and I feel that Swift is better being explicit where possible.

> 	* If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

It's similar to a lot of Javascript libraries that use the dollar sign for values, but I've never felt that I was really gaining anything significant by using it as a variable name.

> 	* How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

Quick read.