[swift-evolution] private & fileprivate

Nevin Brackett-Rozinsky nevin.brackettrozinsky at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 16:54:07 CDT 2016

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 11:51 AM, Daniel Duan <daniel at duan.org> wrote:

> On Oct 13, 2016, at 9:03 PM, Nevin Brackett-Rozinsky <
> nevin.brackettrozinsky at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Daniel, I would be interested to hear what, exactly, are the benefits your
> project has realized from the new “private” compared to the old “private”
> (which is now called “fileprivate”).
>
> There's no amazing insight here. The benefit is more granular control. The
> more people work on a project, the more useful this becomes.

More granular control *within a single file*. That is where I have a hard
time imagining the benefits, and thus am asking for details.

If there are multiple types within a single file, it is usually because
they need to share implementation details.

The only things that I see which scope-based access (the new “private”)
brings to the table are:
• Scope-private members from other parts of the file are unavailable (and
thus don’t show in autocomplete).
• Different extensions of a type can have scope-private members with the
same name as each other.

The former seems negligible, because you are working *within the same
file*. The API that a type vends within its own file is hardly worth
optimizing for.

And the latter I would say is an anti-feature. Using multiple different
members with the same name in extensions just makes it harder to rearrange
the implementation, because those scope-private members will collide if
moved into the same extension.

So I *really* don’t see the benefits. Yes, I understand that there is now
more granular control over access within a single file. I am asking for
examples of how that additional granularity provides *benefits*.

 On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 11:51 AM, Daniel Duan <daniel at duan.org> wrote:

> You might as well ask "why not make everything public" if private and
> fileprivate makes no difference to you.

That is not a fair assertion at all. The API which a type vends to other
files within its module, and to clients outside its module, are significant
parts of a quality and maintainable design.

I do not think the API which a type vends *within its own file* warrants
such lofty prioritization.

> On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 11:51 AM, Daniel Duan <daniel at duan.org> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 13, 2016, at 9:03 PM, Nevin Brackett-Rozinsky <
>> nevin.brackettrozinsky at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
> As I see it, two significant drawbacks of the new “private” are increased
> complexity in the access control model, and encumbrance of the old
> “private” with the unwieldy moniker “fileprivate”.
>
> The first drawback is a truism: every language addition of feature makes
> it more complex.

You can’t just write off the complexity cost like that. The new scope-based
“private” access level brings *substantial* complexity, to both the
implementation and the mental programming model. It creates *unutterable*
access levels, where a scope can see a member of another scope, but cannot
create its own member with the same access level.

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 11:51 AM, Daniel Duan <daniel at duan.org> wrote:

> So we need to measure the benefit with other costs, which brings us to
> your second "drawback". I'm having a hard time understanding it. Is it too
> hard to type? If so, as an Objective-C survivor I disagree. The experience
> of reading code is harder and therefore more important than that of
> authoring code. "fileprivate" was chosen over many other alternatives
> because it's obvious to the reader. A shorter but equally obvious name
> would have been nice. But "unwieldy" is not enough reason to justify such
> source-breaking change at the moment.

Right, “unwieldy” is not enough to justify a source-breaking change. I
entirely agree.

It is the *complexity* of the current model that would justify the
source-breaking change, if it does not have real benefits which stand on
their own and outweigh the costs.

What unwieldiness *does* justify is a non-breaking change, such as
introducing “privy” (or something else) as a synonym for “fileprivate”,
then eventually deprecating and removing the latter.

I will also note that the principal practical effect of SE-0025 was
“Replace a small number of occurrences of ‘private’ with ‘fileprivate’.”

That is essentially all it did to source code. It brought a significant
increase to the complexity of the access control model, in order to make a
few member declarations lengthier and more awkward.

Maybe there are other benefits, but I have not seen them.

Let me reiterate my stance: if the new scope-based “private” has benefits
which outweigh its complexity cost, then we should keep it. Otherwise we
should get rid of scope-based access control and reinstate the old
file-based “private”.

Furthermore, we should rename “fileprivate” to something shorter and less
awkward, which will play nice with submodules. If “private” is off the
table then I propose “privy”, though I welcome other suggestions.

 Nevin

If the new “private” has brought real benefits sufficient to outweigh its