[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0144: Allow Single Dollar Sign as a Valid Identifier

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Fri Oct 14 16:12:08 CDT 2016

> 	* What is your evaluation of the proposal?

-1.  I don’t like the idea of a user-defined `$` identifier.  I agree with the reasons for removing it.  If it is allowed as a user-defined entity it feels an operator is more appropriate.  Otherwise, it could be reserved as a special, compiler-defined identifier (like that `$n` closure argument identifiers) for future use in some way.

> 	* Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

No, removing it was a good decision.

> 	* Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

No.  Despite it’s use in some popular libraries it has always seemed out of place as an identifier to me.

> 	* If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

I have used JavaScript libraries that use this convention.  I don’t think this style of library design is a good fit for Swift.

> 	* How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

Quick read.