[swift-evolution] [Out of scope][Gibberish]

Ted F.A. van Gaalen tedvgiosdev at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 14:11:51 CDT 2016

Trivial matter, I’d say. How lucky you are:
Just be glad you’re not  Dutch living in Germany (the lady is from here), writing on English boards. :o)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcEFn-1uOyo <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcEFn-1uOyo>

Have a nice weekend, met vriendelijke groeten
TedvG

> On 14 Oct 2016, at 07:16, Daniel Duan via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution at swift.org>> wrote:
>
> 1. “honor” is mis-spelled in “weird queen’s dialect”.

I'm sorry, but I throw an exception at this; when you say "weird queen's dialect" do you mean… English? I don't go around referring to the other variation as "weird can't spell dialect" (but maybe I should) 😛
The u in words like honour is what makes it pronounced like "onner" rather than "hone-ore", same with colour being "culler" rather than "coal-ore". Sorry but it really annoys me when people consider the English version of English to be the weird one, as the clue is literally in the name as to which version is correct. This is why it still galls me that the language in macOS is "British English" yet the other one is just "English" rather than "American English" or whatever, it's a hideous double standard.

That aside, I'm a strong +1 for the feature 😉

------------------------------

Message: 2
Let's not promote this idea English has comprehensible and easy to refer to pronunciation rules ;). It needs reforming :P, but let's keep it for English-Evolution ;).

Sent from my iPhone

> On 14 Oct 2016, at 13:42, Haravikk via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution at swift.org>> wrote:
>

>> On 14 Oct 2016, at 07:16, Daniel Duan via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution at swift.org>> wrote:
>>
>> 1. “honor” is mis-spelled in “weird queen’s dialect”.
>
> I'm sorry, but I throw an exception at this; when you say "weird queen's dialect" do you mean… English? I don't go around referring to the other variation as "weird can't spell dialect" (but maybe I should) 😛
> The u in words like honour is what makes it pronounced like "onner" rather than "hone-ore", same with colour being "culler" rather than "coal-ore". Sorry but it really annoys me when people consider the English version of English to be the weird one, as the clue is literally in the name as to which version is correct. This is why it still galls me that the language in macOS is "British English" yet the other one is just "English" rather than "American English" or whatever, it's a hideous double standard.
>

> That aside, I'm a strong +1 for the feature 😉

Message: 3
> Let's not promote this idea English has comprehensible and easy to refer to pronunciation rules ;). It needs reforming :P, but let's keep it for English-Evolution ;).

+1
 Can you get me on that list?  I have a long list of bugs to report. :)