[swift-evolution] stored properties in extensions (was: associated objects)

Charlie Monroe charlie at charliemonroe.net
Mon Oct 10 14:47:46 CDT 2016

Yes, there are valid use cases.

For example, in case of many UI elements, you do not have control over their instantiation and need to associate a "help description" with them as an example. Which can be done by an additional property helpDescription added to NSView/UIView.

Another example that I've used is with CoreData, where you can store additional information on the MOC - NSManagedObjectContext is strongly discouraged from being subclassed. Example of the additional information is a synchronization manager assigned to the MOC.

And since in Swift, classes can be final, there may not be a way to subclass the class to add your properties instead.

IMHO, it is a valid request to be able to add additional stored properties via extensions.