[swift-evolution] private & fileprivate

Zach Waldowski zach at waldowski.me
Fri Oct 7 18:16:25 CDT 2016

On Fri, Oct 7, 2016, at 03:56 PM, Jordan Rose wrote:
> SE-0025 was *very* heavily discussed, and while many people were not
> satisfied with the solution we went with (including me!), it was what
> the core team and community converged on.

Politely playing the Devil's Advocate: it was still fairly early on in
the lifecycle of swift-evolution, particularly for the 3 cycle; the
discussion was heavily weighted towards the people who wanted a change,
versus those who were happy with the status quo. I don't like playing
the Silent Majority card, as it's a horribly weak fallacy, but it is
what it is.

(responding up-thread now to William…)

>>> On Oct 7, 2016, at 15:15, William Sumner via swift-evolution <swift-
>>> evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Really, there’s not much point in rehashing prior discussion of SE-
>>> 0025 unless there’s a previously unconsidered angle.

The new information is that Swift 3 is in the wild. People have gotten
to use it, users both new and old, and have been dismayed and confused,
respectively, with the change.

I appreciate the need for the community to keep pushing forward and not
constantly revisit and counter-proposal things, I really do. It's why I
was glad it seemed like "requiring `self.`" was laid to bed so
conclusively. But this isn't like C-style for loops, I'm not clinging to
my guns and incrementors; we've taken something that enjoyed a quite
simple mental model, even though it was limited compared to other
languages, and made it arbitrarily more complex.

Having come to a consensus (which I disagree happened; more the clock
ran ) shouldn't mean it's locked in stone forever. In fact, the
potential for reconsidering was mentioned by many in response to the
blowback to sealed-by-default, and was  used for justification as to why
it "had" to be considered for Swift 3.

It's important to recognize our mistakes and not get into the trap of
thinking the mailing list is the ground truth of all  Swift users.

Best —
Zach