[swift-evolution] private & fileprivate

Zach Waldowski zach at waldowski.me
Fri Oct 7 16:16:06 CDT 2016

On Fri, Oct 7, 2016, at 02:08 PM, Shawn Erickson via swift-evolution wrote:
> Also based on what do we really see an issue with the addition of
> fileprivate? It seems more theory then examples of problems in the
> discussions I have seen.

I've migrated multiple projects, both for my own use and for clients.
I've taught Swift 3 to my colleagues as we upgrade, and have to help
seasoned developers through confusion. I've taught Swift 3 to people who
don't know Swift, and have to help novice developers through confusion.
I watch as other developers fight this, such as on Twitter, while
fileprivate is a joke unto its own. That's hardly theoretical.

Sincerely,
  Zachary Waldowski
  zach at waldowski.me