[swift-evolution] [Proposal draft] Disallow Optionals in String Interpolation Segments

Joe Groff jgroff at apple.com
Tue Oct 4 13:47:41 CDT 2016

> On Oct 4, 2016, at 11:06 AM, Kevin Ballard via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Oct 4, 2016, at 10:44 AM, Mark Lacey wrote:

>> That’s definitely more complex, and seems like a completely orthogonal feature request.
>>

>>> I like this idea. This combined with the warning for naively interpolating an Optional would be a good solution, because now when I see the warning I can trivially solve it with `?? "nil”`.
>>
>> If you can suppress the warning with `as T?` (where T? is the type of the thing being warned on), you wouldn’t need a form that specifically printed “nil”, correct?
>
> How many times do I need to repeat myself? I'm looking for a solution to the problem where printing Optionals sanely (e.g. no "Optional(…)" wrapper for .some values) is a PITA right now. Getting rid of the warning does not solve this problem. This is why I like Nate Cook's idea to enable `?? "nil"` in string interpolations, because it does solve my problem. And with this tool, now the warning on printing Optionals becomes useful because it tells me where to add `?? "nil"`. Getting rid of the warning without the ability to add `?? "nil"` is not helpful to me, because I don't want to print "Optional(…)".

A string interpolation segment can accept any type, so 'x ?? "nil"' arguably ought to be able to work by joining both sides of the ?? to 'Any', as if you'd written `(x as Any?) ?? ("nil" as Any)`. IIRC we have some artificial limitations on deducing `Any`, since it can obviously be problematic to have things like array literals automatically fall into [Any] because you accidentally mixed types, but string interpolations are loosely-typed by design. I wonder if there's anything we could do to admit it in this case.

-Joe