[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Hashable types on RawRepresentable enums or a protocol for custom enum-like types

Karl Wagner razielim at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 11:56:55 CDT 2016

Enum raw types don't have to be strings/integers, but they have to be expressable by string or integer literals.   We don't guarantee uniqueness per se, but we do check for duplicate literals and auto-increment integers to fill gaps.

So all you have to do is make your custom type conform to ExpressibleByStringLiteral and you can use it as an enum's raw type.

Karl