[swift-evolution] [Proposal draft] Disallow Optionals in String Interpolation Segments

Robert Widmann devteam.codafi at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 20:57:51 CDT 2016

> On Oct 3, 2016, at 9:54 PM, Kevin Ballard <kevin at sb.org> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Oct 3, 2016, at 06:49 PM, Robert Widmann wrote:
>>
>>> On Oct 3, 2016, at 8:49 PM, Kevin Ballard via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution at swift.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I assume you meant that as a reply to me?
>>>
>>> The problem is twofold:
>>>
>>> 1. Printing the value without adornment, or "nil" for nil, is a very common thing to want to do and we shouldn't have to write code like `\(x.map(String.init(describing:)) ?? "nil")` to accomplish it.
>>
>> My point is before you were unable to do this without the ‘uglyness’ presented here anyway [you would have gotten “Optional(“value”)”], so I don’t see the point of raising this concern.  If you want the old behavior, just ask for it with an explicit cast or `.debugDescription`.
>
> This proposal was done because the current behavior of Optionals in string interpolation isn't very useful for most people. You're proposing banning it outright (with an escape hatch to recover the current behavior). I'm saying that, since it isn't very useful for most people, instead of banning it we could make it useful.

Then Optional needs to have a stable and useful `.description`, but I don’t think it’s appropriate to have users rely on the output of `debugDescription` much less use it in interpolated strings as it is now.  That’s why we wrote this proposal.  We are changing no behavior, your programs will still compile under this proposal, they will still execute with the same semantics as before, you will just get a warning that you cannot and should not depend on the debug representation of a type that specifically has a case for “no value here”.  If you want to silence that warning you’re gonna have to jump through some hoops - hoops that we’ll show you with fixits.