[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0142: Permit where clauses to constrain associated types

Karl razielim at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 14:56:02 CDT 2016

> On 25 Sep 2016, at 21:45, Drew Crawford <drew at sealedabstract.com> wrote:
>
>> I think this is already part of the Generics Manifesto: https://github.com/apple/swift/blob/master/docs/GenericsManifesto.md <https://github.com/apple/swift/blob/master/docs/GenericsManifesto.md>
> So is this proposal.  The proposal's "Motivation" is lifted from the Arbitrary Requirements in Protocols section: https://github.com/apple/swift/blob/master/docs/GenericsManifesto.md#arbitrary-requirements-in-protocols- <https://github.com/apple/swift/blob/master/docs/GenericsManifesto.md#arbitrary-requirements-in-protocols->

Sorry, what I meant to say is that: I think it would count as its own proposal (just because it has its own little section).

Although you’re right; the proposal includes concrete same-type constraints for sub-protocols (e.g. IntSequence) but we don’t have the same ability when extending existing protocols.
Maybe it would have been better to do the proposals the other way around.

- Karl