[swift-evolution] Should Swift apply "statement scope" for ARC

John Holdsworth mac at johnholdsworth.com
Fri Sep 23 17:29:37 CDT 2016

Sorry, I’m being a little slow on the uptake here. So in future optimised Swift the
scope of a variable continuing an object doesn't determine it’s lifetime at all!
That seems quite a departure.

This means you have to be very careful with contained UnsafePointers indeed.
I got as far as needing to do:

    init(imageProducer:ImageProducer) {
        withExtendedLifetime(CanvasBase()) {
            super.init(javaObject: $0.javaObject)
        }
        image = createImage(imageProducer)
    }

..but the compiler was having none of it. For now the rigorous alternative is:

    init(imageProducer:ImageProducer) {
        var locals = [jobject]()
        super.init(javaObject: CanvasBase().localJavaObject(&locals))
        JNI.DeleteLocalRef(locals[0])
        image = createImage(imageProducer)
    }

Some option to reinstate "strong-ness" of a var could be a more flexible alternative to
“withExtendedLifetime” for my particular use case.

    init(imageProducer:ImageProducer) {
        @strong var canvas = CanvasBase()
        super.init(javaObject: canvas.javaObject)
        image = createImage(imageProducer)
    }

John