[swift-evolution] Mark protocol methods with their protocol

Rien Rien at Balancingrock.nl
Fri Sep 23 09:41:59 CDT 2016

Hello Vladimir,

Going back to the original suggestion:

4.1 Different implementation for different protocols
class Foo : ProtocolA, ProtocolB {
   implement(ProtocolA) func foo() {...}
   implement(ProtocolB) func foo() {...}
}
class Foo : ProtocolA, ProtocolB {
   implement ProtocolA {
  	func foo() {...}
   }
   implement ProtocolB {
  	func foo() {...}

I would rather solve this by implementing the conformance of Foo to either protocol in its own extension:

class Foo {}

extension Foo: ProtocolA {
 func foo()
}

extension Foo: ProtocolB {
 func foo()
}

This way the extra keyword is not necessary.
However it does make it necessary to be able to select the exact foo() an API user would want.
The API user has that knowledge and can select if via: (Foo as! ProtocolA).foo()

Or via a convenience dot-contruction: Foo.ProtocolA.foo()

I think that my suggestion may be more work, but it feels to me as if it is more in line with the general swift-phylosophy.

Regards,
Rien.