[swift-evolution] Mark protocol methods with their protocol

Russ Bishop xenadu at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 23:46:09 CDT 2016

> On Sep 20, 2016, at 4:34 PM, Dave Abrahams via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>

> on Tue Sep 20 2016, Karl <razielim-AT-gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think the best way is to prefix the member name with the protocol, e.g:
>>
>> protocol MyProto {
>>    var aVariable : Int
>>    func aFunction()
>> }
>> class MyClass : MyProto {
>>    var MyProto.aVariable : Int
>>    func MyProto.aFunction() { … }
>> }
>> CC-ing Dave A, to understand better if this fits with the vision of protocols
>
> I generally agree with Doug.  The canonical way to indicate “this
> method/property/type implements a requirement of protocol P” should be
> to define the entity in an extension that also adds conformance to P.
> If that's inadequate indication in some way we should find a way to
> enhance it.  I wouldn't mind the notation above, but only as a fallback,
> not a reuquirement.
>
> --
> -Dave

Indeed this is exactly how C# handles Interfaces (protocols). The default is the exact same way Swift works - by matching names. If there is a collision you specify Protocol.memberName. Its simple and in the years I was writing C# code it was flexible enough to cover most reasonable scenarios, without adding a bunch of boilerplate.

Russ